Keeping children entertained on the airplane or road trips needs a lot of planning. A list of things you can carry which are portable, compact and lightweight. Activities differ from age groups 2 to 4 and 4 to 8. I have listed out things for both the age groups. These activities are tried and tested by real moms.
Travel Activity for Toddlers.
1. An Ispy bottle or Ispy pouch, Ispy is a favourite activity for this age group. Carrying an Ispy bottle with their favourite things would keep them entertained for a long time.
2. Nuts and Bolts – Your toddler might be very energetic. You can try role play and turn him into a flight mechanic who is repairing the airplane.
3. Pipe cleaners – very effective for craft activities, making flowers stars or turning the pipe cleaners into Daddy’s moustache while he is asleep.
4. Favourite Book – Carry their favourite book. They love reading again and again. Wipe and clean are great books to carry as well.
5. Sticker book – Do you have a sticker book with their favourite animals, birds or construction vehicles. Best way to stick and learn some names.
6. Window cling’s – Children love window seats. As I write I can already imagine the fun they have while sticking window clings on the windows.
7. Play Dough – An all time favourite among kids of all ages. Airplane tray tables are sure getting messy.
8. Cars – No gender bias, cars are loved by both girls and boys. Zooming their cars in airplane aisles.
9. Finger Puppets – Getting into different characters, birds or animals and making sounds/stories could never have been more fun.
10. Miniature Animals – You can carry miniature dinosaurs, farm animals, wild animals or sea animals as per your child’s choice.
11. Stamps – Activity to keep them busy and occupied.
12. Sophie the giraffe – Sophie, is everybody’s favourite.
13. Lacing toys – You can carry a whole lot of busy bags for toddlers, according o what he/she likes. They are light weight and compact, so easy to carry.
14. Colouring book with crayons and stencils – Colouring book or just a sketch book for them to scribble is a must. They love it.
15. Mega Bloks – This is one thing which can be bulky but if your are sure your child can be entertained with this for a long time. its worth the carry.
16. Puzzles – The two/three piece puzzle can be convenient for them to join on the airplane tray.
Travel Activity kit for Little kids
1. World Map/ Road Map – Are we there yet? Carry a Printable of World map while flying to different countries. Children find it extremely interesting to know and understand the distance and location to the place they are travelling to. On road trips you can give them a road map with route marked. They will love to navigate you through your journey.
2. Easter Eggs – Plan to surprise them with different toys and candies in each Easter egg.
3. Kids Travel Passport – This pretend Travel Passport gives them the opportunity to stamp all the different countries they’ve visited. So much fun!
4. Dobble – This game will sure keep them entertained while improving their focus and concentration. Two to three players try to find pairs as fast as they can. Fastest wins.
5. Trunki Bags – Put all their activities, food, extra pair of clothes in this bag. When they are tired they can sit on the bag and have a ride. Available in many different brands.
6. Uno – It has been a bestseller for years now.
7. Rubik’s Cube
8. A Puzzle/ Foam Puzzle – You can also carry the Puzzle in a zip lock and cut the front of the puzzle picture and carry it. It will make it very compact and easy to carry. A world puzzle can be great fun.
9. Paw Patrol Pups – They love Rocky, Zuma, Marshall, Chase. Carry a few.
10. Portable Lego – In a box with a small base plate.
11. Slime – Not a bad idea to make snakes, insects and scare Daddy while he is asleep.
12. Snakes and Ladders/Tic Tac Toe/ Checkers
13. Craft Kit – If your child likes to do craft, tons of DIY kits available in the market. Put the Airplane tray to use.
14. Favourite Book – A world book
15. Cars – An all time favourite.
16. Window Clings
17. Activity Books – Word search, Printables, Math book
18. A notebook and crayons/ pencil fro them to scribble or write notes on their travel.