Lacing activity is a classic Fine Motor activity for preschoolers. The journey to write correctly should start before your child actually starts writing. It starts with strengthening of Fine Motor skills.
Benefits of lacing toys:
1. Grasp development – Bigger beads help children to hold pencil later and smaller beads develop pincer grasp which is required for picking smaller objects
2. Bilateral Coordination – . Picking a bead up, and then turning it around in one’s hand involves shift and rotation movements or the fingers. All of these movements strengthen the hand and finger muscle, which help in a lot of skills later on like writing, zipping a jacket and buttoning a shirt.
3. Improving visual skills – The child has to remember the lacing pattern and accordingly select the colour from the container to complete the pattern. This all helps in development of visual memory.
4. Developing Motor Planning – Hand and eye coordination is needed to string the beads in the lace. Lacing enhances their planning skills while performing this activity.
5. Travel friendly – Lacing toys are easy in pocket and small in seize making it travel friendly.
6. Developing patience and focus – Lacing is play and learn activity. While doing this activity the child fails and learns to try again. It is an activity where you can succeed with patience and focus, hence enhancing these qualities in the child.
7. Life skill development – Children can learn how to sew eventually helping them develop life skills.
Five Lacing Toys for Toddlers and Preschoolers:
This lacing pony lets children customise their pony with their imagination.
Shoes is always a fascination with kids, what better way to encourage lacing in children.
Children can learn animals while lacing too.
Available at The Braille House (Al Rais Centre – Dubai)
These lacing activities develop math skills in children. They encourage counting while teaching them different colours and shapes too.
Big and small bead lacing develops grasp and is very helpful for success in writing later on.
Melissa and Doug Wooden Lacing beads in a box or Skoolzy beads.
Lacing activity is something we should encourage in children from a young age. It is fun, keeps them busy while teaching them a lot of skills. Depending on your child’s preference choose a lacing toy which he/she would enjoy the most and play with the toy again and again.