Yoga is an ancient physical and spiritual discipline which originated in India more than 5000 years ago. In Yoga through Asanas (postures), and focused concentration on specific body parts with correct breathing one integrates body with mind and mind with body. It is a great practice to inculcate in children from childhood.
Benefits of Yoga in children:
Dr. Sharanya Rathnam from Rhythm Yoga Dubai tells us about Kid-friendly Yoga Asanas – how to do them right with their benefits for children!
1. Tadasana – Palm Tree pose
Steps of Tadasana (In standing position):
Benefits of Tadasana:-
2. Tiryaka Tadasan – Swaying Palm Tree pose
Steps of Tiryaka Tadasana:
Benefits of Tiryaka Tadasana:
3. Virabhadrasana – II Warrior pose II
Steps of Virabhadrasana:
4. Aswasanchalana – The Equestrian Pose
Steps for aswasanchalana:
Benefits of aswasanchalana:
This pose massages the abdominal organs and improves their functioning, strengthens the leg muscles and induces balance in the nervous system.
5. Parvathasan – Mountain pose Steps for Parvatasana
Steps for Parvathasan:
Benefits of Parvatasana:
6. Bhujangasan – Cobra Pose:
Steps for Bhujangasana:
Benefits of Bhujangasana:
7. Ardha Halasana – Half Plow Pose
Steps for Ardha Halasana:
Benefits of Ardha Halasana:
8. Forward bend yoga pose – Paschimottanasana
Steps for Paschimottanasana:
Note: it important to know that while bending forward it is important to move forward towards the toes, rather than down towards the knees.
Benefits of Paschimottanasana:
9. Wheel pose – chakrasana
Steps of Chakrasana:
Benefits of Chakrasana:
10. Padahastasana – Hand to foot pose
Steps for padahastasana:
Benefits of Padahastasana:
• This pose is useful in eliminating or preventing stomach or abdominal ailments.
• It reduces excess weight in the abdominal region, improves digestion and helps to remove constipation.
• It improves blood circulation, makes the spine supple and tones the spinal nerves.
Watch this video to practice yoga with kids at home.